Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Apothecary devoted to the love of poisonous flora, fauna, and fungi.

https://banefolk.com/pages/about
Bane is an Old English word over a thousand years old with even more ancient Proto Indo European origins. Its ancient roots mean "death", "bringer of death", and "the devil". Through its history "bane" is often used in reference to poisonous and psychoactive plants like henbane and wolfsbane.
The bane folk are those who feel the mysterious draw to these poisonous herbs and work with them closely in gardening, medicine making, sacred herbalism, and spiritual ceremonies.


Hi, my name is Sarah Anne Lawless and Bane Folk is my one-woman apothecary. I am an artist, author, and maker of witches' flying ointments. My writings and illustrations have been published by Scarlet Imprint, Ixaxaar, Anathema, The CauldronWitches & Pagans, Hex Magazine and others. 
I have worked closely with poisonous plants for 15 years now with a focus on medicinal nightshade herbs as a consultant, folk herbalist, and educator. I began producing flying ointments with medicinal nightshade in 2010 as historical reconstructions with belladonna, datura, henbane, and mandrake. A few years later it was clear the need for my ointments' abilities to relieve pain, insomnia, and anxiety far outweighed their value as a historical curio and ever since it has been my goal to continue making ointments for those who need them for as long as I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment